Respite Breaks for Carers of Adults

"Traditionally, respite care has meant a break in a care home or nursing home. This type of break may be suitable for some but people want more choices about how, where and when the break is provided.

Families or couples may want to have a break together with some extra support, or they may choose to have some time apart. Breaks will vary from a few hours to a few weeks and may be arranged on a regular, planned basis, as a holiday or to deal with an unexpected emergency." (Shared Care Scotland)

If you are the carer of an adult with a disability you may be entitled to short breaks from your caring responsibilities. This is often called respite. Respite allows carers to have a short break from caring duties, e.g. to go on holiday or to have some time off for a few hours during the week. Respite can sometimes be organised at very short notice when there is an emergency.

Eligibility and Assessment

We assess the needs of carers and the person being cared for against set criteria to decide whether a short break would be an appropriate form of support. Assessments are completed by staff from the Assessment and Care Management Team who will help you through the process.

A financial assessment will be completed to decide whether you will be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of ongoing respite or a short break.

When considering opportunities for short breaks, people will have access to the full range of options and choice available under Self Directed Support..

Types of Respite Care

Support At Home

We can arrange for care and support to be provided in your own home. This normally involves a trained carer coming into your home for short periods during the week or at weekends to allow you to go out. It could also, for example, involve the person being cared for having help to have some time out in the local community.

Support in a Specialist Residential Setting

It is possible for respite care to be provided in a residential setting where staff are available round the clock to offer care and support. People with profound and multiple disabilities can have a short break in Letham Court in Livingston. Burnside Court in Uphall offers short breaks to people with more moderate learning disabilities.

Further information

If you would like further information or advice on short breaks from caring, please contact the Social Care Enquiry Team (ASCET). The team will also be able to arrange for an assessment to be completed.