Equipment and Adaptations

Adaptations can be considered as minor or major. Examples of minor being grab rail, banister, and external handrail and major adaptations things such as wet floor showers, ramps or stair lifts.

These will be arranged by your Occupational Therapist and the process and funding varies, depending on your housing tenure as follows:

  • West Lothian Council properties:  All adaptations are funded by the Housing Revenue Account. Maintenance and repairs are carried out by West Lothian Council.  Please click here for more information on adaptations to council properties.
  • Housing Association properties: All housing associations receive their funding from Scottish Government but how adaptations are arranged varies between associations. Your Occupational Therapist will advise you on this.
  • Owner Occupied and Private Lets:  Major adaptations can be arranged via Scheme of Assistance. Everyone is entitled to receive a grant of 80%, although this may rise to 100% if in receipt of certain benefits (based on financial assessment) - see West Lothian Council Scheme of Assistance


Adult Social Care Enquiry Team (ASCET)
West Lothian Council
Strathbrock Partnership Centre
189a West Main Street
EH54 5LH
Tel: 01506 284848

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon