Home Safety Service
Technology can play an integral part in:
- Supporting health and wellbeing outcomes for individuals in their home or a community setting,
- Providing a 24 hour telephone link where a keyholder or emergency services can be contacted,
- Helping manage the risks associated with independent living.
Technology refers to a broad range of devices designed to keep someone safe at home or summon assistance in an emergency situation. Services are mainly used by older people or people with disabilities but can also support people with significant health problems.
Telecare equipment provides a 24 hour telephone link between the service user and 'Careline' via the dispersed alarm, help button and other sensors. Careline establishes the nature of the problem and if required, contacts the keyholder or the emergency services.
- The Telecare equipment will be supplied to you FREE of charge and this includes the follow up support from Home Safety Service staff.
- A weekly charge will apply for the 24 hour, 7 day per week link to Careline who monitor and access help for you when required.
- Calls to West Lothian Careline are recorded for quality and training purposes.
Use the Telecare self-check online tool, the tool asks 6-12 questions and will take about 5 minutes to complete.
If you would like more information or to apply for Home Safety Service Technology, you can do this by completing our on-line enquiry form.
Analogue to digital switch over.
If you are currently a Home Safety service user where you can get help from West Lothian Careline by pressing your pendant (help button), there will soon be some changes to the technology we use. This will not affect how you access the 24hr emergency help from West Lothian Careline, but it will change some of the equipment you have and also the contact numbers used to call you or your keyholder.
We are aware of a scam being circulated in some areas which may be targeting telecare service users transitioning to digital telecare. This scam is false phone calls to telecare services users asking you to pay for a new alarm as your current system is obsolete, they will ask for your bank details or to pay for the new alarm over the phone.
The technology equipment provided to you by West Lothians Home Safety Service will be upgraded to digital telecare free of charge, you will not be asked to make a payment for this.
If you receive a call regarding your Telecare Service and unsure if it is genuine, you can press your pendant and speak to West Lothian Careline or telephone them on 0330 678 2396 for reassurance.
Preventing nuisance calls:
- You could sign up to the Telephone preference service for FREE either online or by calling 0345 070 0707
- Unwanted calls can be blocked using built-in call blocking features on home or mobile phones;
- There is a range of standalone devices that can be used to block/ monitor calls;
- For more information on potential solutions check out Which's article on How to block nuisance calls
* Please note: if you use any of the above services to block calls, please ensure you add West Lothian Carelines number to your "trusted" / "safe" numbers, their number is 0330 6782396.